If you’re a serious fan of Disneyland or if you were there during the first years that this American institution was open, then you might think you know all there is to know about it. But, with a theme park this old and beloved, there are always some surprises around the corner. Read on to learn some facts you never knew about Disneyland.
1) Did you know Doritos were invented at Disneyland? It all started with an excess of tortillas at the Casa de Fritos restaurant in the early ’60s. When a salesman for the Frito Lay contractor Alex Foods saw perfectly good tortillas being thrown out, he suggested to the cook that they could be made into chips. Alex Foods soon began making the chips after they had become a best-seller at the Tex-Mex Disney eatery.
2) One of Steve Martin’s first jobs was selling maps and magic gags at Disneyland.
3) The park only had 18 attractions on opening day, compared to a whopping 54 today.
4) No gum is sold at Disneyland because Walt Disney didn’t want guests to step in it.
5) Walt Disney sometimes stood in line with his guests because he enjoyed just being around them.
Click NEXT PAGE to find out more things about Disneyland you never knew!